The cost of corneal transplantation in Egypt
The cost of corneal transplantation in Egypt
Many factors affect the price of corneal transplant surgery in Egypt, some of which are:
Whether femtosecond laser is used during the surgery, which is considered the latest technology for this surgery in Egypt and has shown superior visual results that are both safe and repeatable when compared with traditional surgical techniques, and therefore comes at a higher price.
- The surgeon’s talent and experience
- The machines used.
- The hospital at which the surgery will be performed
- Pre-operative investigations and imaging
- The price and specifications of the donor cornea used.
A glimpse about corneal transplant keratoplasty in keratoconus
Keratoplasty and corneal transplant in Egypt is the surgical replacement of a part of the cornea with new tissue, and the cornea is the foremost clear lens in your eye shaped like a dome and represents a significant part of the eye’s focusing system
Diseases and conditions that can be corrected with keratoplasty, corneal transplant:
- Corneal edema after trauma or inflammation
- Corneal ulcers or infections
- A corneal disease that leads to an abnormal steepness and thinning of the cornea, known as keratoconus
- Genetic and hereditary corneal diseases like Fuch’s endothelial dystrophy
- Corneal diseases caused by previous surgery
After complete and thorough ocular examination, the surgeon then discusses with the patient the best treatment options available for their situation.
The types of corneal surgery may be
1.Full thickness or penetrating corneal transplant keratoplasty PK
this is needed when there is a severe affection or edema of the cornea. The surgeon performing this operation replaces all layers of the diseased cornea. The new tissues are sutured in place with hair thin stitches. This surgery ahs a longer recovery period
2.Partial thickness or lamellar corneal transplant keratoplasty
usually done to patients with keratoconus or corneal edema that has not yet affected the deeper layers. There is Deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty, where the surgeon injects an air bubble and causing the separation between the thin and thick layers of the cornea, and only the thin ones are replaced. This procedure ahs a shorter recovery time compared with the full thickness graft and has lower chances of graft rejection.
Complications of corneal transplants keratoplasty:
Corneal transplant keratoplasty in Egypt is a relatively safe procedure, with some complications such as
- Eye inflammation
- Increased ocular
- Suture problems
- Graft rejection
- Corneal edema
Signs and symptoms of graft rejection:
In a few cases the body’s immune system attacks the donor cornea and treats it as a foreign substance, this is called rejection, and this may require medical treatment or a repeat surgery
Once a patient experiences any of these symptoms, they must immediately reach out to the surgeon who did the procedure. These include
- Severe sudden drop of vision
- Intolerance to light
- It is also worthy to note that 10% of corneal transplants get rejected.
Preparing for the surgery:
- Complete and thorough eye examination where the surgeon is looking for signs that may lead to postoperative complications.
- Measuring the eye to calculate the exact size of the graft needed
- Revision of all medications and supplements taken by the patient, some of which must be stopped before the surgery
Results after the surgery:
Most patients will have partial vision immediately after the surgery. Which improves over time
The threat of rejection remains present for a few years after the surgery, that is why regular appointments are necessary
Correction of vision after the surgery:
Vision might not be clear immediately after the surgery, this may last for a couple of weeks to months until the graft fully heals into place. As soon as the donor and patients’ cornea have healed the surgeon will then work on performing further procedures to improve the quality of vision , these include :
Correction of astigmatism: this is caused by the stitches causing depressions and elevation son the corneal surface, which causes blurred vision. The surgeon may correct it by releasing and removing certain sutures and tightening others.
Correction of short or near sightedness: this can do by glasses or contact lenses, and in some cases laser eye surgery
Treating the eye after a corneal transplant keratoplasty
It is important to treat the eye after the surgery as per surgeon’s instructions to get the best visual results and survival rates of the graft
- The presence of eye discharge in the first few days after the surgery must be thoroughly cleaned of with cotton and preboiled water
- Antibiotic eyedrops usually last for three weeks or more depending on the case
- Anti-inflammatory eye drops usually last for about six months : these include anti-inflammatory eye drops and corticosteroid eye drops.
Best corneal transplant keratoplasty surgeon doctor in Egypt
Eye surgeries are one of the most sensitive in the medical field , they require highly skilled and trained surgeons to perform them correctly and to the proper patient to avoid complications . Dr Ashraf Hassan Soliman consultant of Corneal surgeries, cataract surgery and laser refractive procedures and glaucoma is considered one of the best keratoconus doctors and surgeons in Egypt and the middle east and one of the most highly recommended surgeons to perform these delicate procedures owing to his talent, training and experience