The cost of FemtoSMILE surgery in Egypt
The cost of femtoSMILE surgery in Egypt
recently, and namely over the past two decades, numerous techniques have evolved in all medical fields, namely in the field pf ophthalmology and its very delicate surgeries. In this article we will discuss the evolution of refractive surgery and visual correction and enhancement, we will clarify some details about the technology of femtoSMILE, which differs from the techniques of LASIK and femtoLASIK and the average cost of femtoSMILE in Egypt.
What is FemtoSMILE?
FemtoSMILE is one of the latest technologies used for the correction of errors of refraction. It is an acronym for Small Incision Lenticule Extraction, which basically means extracting a part of the cornea that corresponds to the patient’s error of refraction through a small incision using the Visumax Femtosecond laser technology. FemtoSMILE technology for vision defects namely myopia which required flattening of the cornea by this procedure. It is performed through a small partial thickness side incision in the cornea, and the doctor predetermines the amount of tissue to be removed from its center according to the patient’s measurements. The femtosecond laser then carefully splits this accurately measured disc shaped lenticule of corneal tissue which is then removed through the side incision. This procedure is very different than LASIK which requires the elevation of a flap on the surface of the cornea in order to reach the target tissue.
Before taking the step and starting the procedure, of course the ophthalmologist will discuss the procedure, the reason for this decision, and the features advantages and disadvantages of femtoSMILE. Some corneal images and tests will be ordered to confirm if you are a good candidate to undergo such a procedure. Your ophthalmologist will also talk to you about other conditions that may prevent you from getting this procedure done and will determine the best alternative solution that suits your condition.
To determine if you are a candidate for the procedure, your ophthalmologist will thoroughly examine your eyes and perform the following:
- Check the overall health of your eyes and if there are other problems, which must be excluded , because they can affect surgery, its results, or may aggravate these existing conditions.
- Making accurate and precise corneal measurements such as thickness, steepness, astigmatism. These will be checked and used to program the computer that controls the laser rays during surgery.
- Measuring the size of the pupil.
- Measure the degree of your myopia with standardized tests
Steps of FemtoSMILE Process
- Local anesthesia eye drops are instilled into the eye
- An instrument called an eyelid speculum is used to keep it open and then another instrument is used to prevent the cornea from moving during the operation.
- In this procedure, Femtosecond laser technology is used to make a very small partial thickness incision of approximately 4 mm (the size of a lentil) without lifting any part of the corneal tissue.
- With the aid of the femtosecond laser the doctor then creates what is known as “refractive lenticule ” in just one step, leaving the remaining corneal layers relatively intact and significantly untouched.
- The shape of the cornea is flattened, correcting myopia, and the corneal incision heals within hours to 2 days without stitches.
- The whole procedure takes a very short time of approximately 10 minutes, making it one of the fastest and safest procedures for vision corrections compared to others.
Immediately after the operation and the recovery period
femtoSMILE is a procedure that can be performed in several minutes by reaching the tissues and removing them through the side incision cornea, therefore the healing period after the operation is very short, sometimes patients have reported marked improvement of their vision within 12 to 24 hours only, and some of these patients return to work or school the very next day.
The following must be taken into account:
- You might be a little blurry or drowsy after the surgery which completely resolves within a few hours and is why you will need someone to drive you home.
- You should relax the rest of the day.
- The prescribed eyedrops should be instilled as ordered by your doctor
- You can perform most of your regular activities after a day or two. Avoid getting water in your eyes for a few days.
Instructions after femtoSMILE
After femtoSMILE, there are some important instructions that your doctor will give you to keep your eyes safe after the operation, the most important of which are:
- Wear sunglasses after surgery for about a week, especially when you’re out, because it’s important to cover your eyes from the sun and avoid excessive exposure to wind and dust.
- You should wait at least one month before wearing cosmetic “colored” contact lenses and consult your doctor before attempting that.
- Avoid eye strain by reducing or preventing intense reading in the 24 hours immediately following the operation
- Refrain from using smart devices such as computers, mobile phone and TV for 24 hours
- Try to avoid areas filled with smoke and dust as much as possible
- Avoid getting any kind of water in the eye, especially in the first week, and stay avoid swimming for a month
- Use eye protectors during sleep, especially the first week and avoid rubbing.
Am I a candidate for FemtoSMILE?
To perform the femtoSMILE process, some of the main conditions for the surgery must be met, these include:
- Age : at least 18 years old
- The degree of vision and glasses prescription should be stable for at least a year
- Myopic error between – 1 to – 8 with minimal or insignificant astigmatism.
- General health of he eye and cornea and no past history of ocular diseases
- You need to understand and read more about the procedure, the expected results, and what can’t be achieved.
What are the advantages of femtoSMILE
It is one of the latest procedures that are carried out for the correction of myopia, and was introduced at the beginning of the 2000s. femtoSmile has almost the same results as lasik , with similar visual acuity results to correct myopia. femtoSMILE is less dangerous than LASIK especially for the risk of developing dry eye, possibly due to the minimal handling of the corneal tissue and therefore a smaller number of corneal nerves affected by the procedure . overall , it is more preferable than lasik in some cases as specified by your doctor.
Who is not a candidate for femtoSMILE surgery?
Unfortunately, there are some people who are not candidates for femtoSMILE , these include:
- Constant and unstable change in the error of refraction or visual acuity
- Ocular or systemic diseases that may affect postoperative recovery.
- A person has a corneal erosion or a disease that affect corneal nerves or structures
- Uncontrolled glaucoma
- Uncontrolled Diabetes
- History of eye disease or previous eye surgery
- Previous eye infections
- Pregnant or nursing women
- Cataracts which affects vision and cause blurring
Are there any disadvantages and risks of femtoSMILE?
As for any surgery the femtolasik abd femtoSMILE procedures are no exception. Here are some drawbacks and risks that can occur after the surgery.
Drawbacks of femtoSMILE
- It only corrects myopia, while lasik can correct myopia, and compound myopic astigmatism.
- There can be a residual refraction error that requires another correction.
Disadvantages of femtoSMILE
Like any other surgery, there may be some risks that may occur after surgery, including:
- glare and halos around the light, especially at night
- Damage to the cornea as part of it has been removed
- Inflammation of the cornea
- incomplete or excessive correction, requiring eyeglasses, contact lenses or other surgery such as LASIK.
The cost of femtoSMILE surgery in Egypt
This varies from center to center, but is determined based on the hospital fees, of course, taking into account the cost of pre-operative examinations and the cost of instruments and devices used during the operation, such as lasers, such as the doctor and surgical and assistant team fees .