The cost of intracorneal ring implants in Egypt
Treatment of keratoconus with intracorneal rings
The treatment of keratoconus with intracorneal rings is one of the most effective ways to treat the condition, and is done by placing half-circle or full circle segments of rings into tunnels created in the corneal.
Mechanism of treatment of keratoconus with rings
- Topical anesthesia is first instilled to numb the eye and prevent any discomfort
- The rings are implanted at the periphery of the cornea so that the center of the cornea remains free without being touched. They are implanted in carefully constructed tunnels , which can be either created manually or by femtosecond laser
- The rings are inserted into the cornea.
- They aim at reducing irregular astigmatism by supporting the base of the cone and flattening the bulge
- These rings can be removed if necessary, but in such a case, the cornea will return to shape before surgery.
Advantages of the implantation of keratoconus rings
- The main purpose of treating keratoconus with rings is to restore the shape of the natural eye and allow the patient to tolerate contact lenses.
- This type of treatment is fairly good, especially for people who do not want to have a corneal transplant keratoplasty in Egypt.
- This treatment can improve vision c=and can be accompanied by eyeglasses
What are the steps of the operation?
- Before starting this procedure, anesthetic eye drops are applied first.
- After that, the doctor applies the eyelid speculum, which essentially keeps the eye open during the procedure.
- The doctor creates a tunnel inside the cornea, by laser or manually.
- The rings are then inserted into the cornea
- Then, at the end of the procedure, the doctor applies drops and a plastic shield for protection.
Cost of implanting intracorneal rings for keratoconus in Egypt
In Egypt it is considered a common operation, it varies in cost and depends on several main factors which are the type of tunnel creation procedure used in the operation, the hospital and doctor fees, and the cost of the rings and their type.
What are the conditions for implanting intracorneal rings?
- There should be no opacity (scar) on the surface of the cornea (cornea must be clear).
- The corneal thickness should be within normal limits
What are the expected results after the procedure?
- Vision is expected to begin to improve in the week following the procedure by 50% but may fluctuate for several days until it stabilizes, and most people can return to work one or two days after the treatment.
- Additional procedures may be used to complement procedures such as corneal stabilization and other techniques.
- It may be done more than once with various ring sizes and positions to accommodate the changing corneal parameters .
What are the rings used to treat keratoconus?
implantation of PMMA rings or ring segments, where they act as stents, and are installed to adjust and stabilize the degree of corneal curvature.
These rings are made up of one or two semicircular sections, implanted in the cornea, on outside the optical zone, and there are also full segment rings, the type of ring is chosen according to the condition of each patient.
These rings are made of solid materials ,PMMA, by installing them in the cornea, they make changes in the shape of the cornea and reduce the bulging cone and provide stability.
What cases require a corneal transplant?
There are many cases in which corneal transplantation is used in Egypt.
- Advanced keratoconus.
- extreme thinning of the cornea.
- Scarring or swelling of the cornea, caused by infection or injury.
- Corneal ulcers and scars , including those caused by infection and not responding to treatment.
It is known that
- Corneal transplantation contributes to restoring vision, reducing pain, improving the appearance of damaged or sick cornea, or improving its appearance.
- Most corneal transplants are successful, but corneal transplantation has complications, such as rejection of the donor cornea, so post-operative car and follow up are essential.
Results of corneal transplantation
- Most people undergoing corneal implants at least partially regain their sight, depending on the cause of the surgery and the patient’s health and eye condition.
- Close follow up is needed because there is a possibility of complications and rejection of the cornea even after years after corneal transplantation, and corneal rejection can often be controlled by medications.
- You may need to correct your vision after surgery, and it may take several months for your vision to improve.
- When the transplanted cornea fully heals and recovers – several weeks to several months after surgery, you doctor will make some adjustments that can improve your vision.
Some of these are :
- Correction astigmatism: meaning that stitches that held the cornea in place in the patient’s eye can lead to corneal irregularities and astigmatism, causing blurring of vision at some points.
Part of this may be corrected by removing some stitches and tightening others .
- Correction of other vision problems: Refractive errors, such as myopia hyperopia can be corrected by wearing glasses, contact lenses or laser eye surgery in some cases.
What is the cost of intracorneal ring implants in Egypt?
The cost of intracorneal ring implant in Egypt using the femtosecond laser device also varies according to the doctor’s skill, experience , knowledge. In addition to the specifications of rings used in the surgery and whether they will be inserted manually or by Femtolaser which is currently used in Egypt and is considered to have guaranteed and safe results.
Best Eye Surgeon in Egypt
A lot of skill knowledge and experience is needed and is imperative for the diagnosis of keratoconus in its early stages and its modalities of treatment, including the type, placement and thickness of the rings, and whether additional surgeries will be done. The best option for you is to look for the best eye surgeon ophthalmologist specialized in keratoconus surgeries known for their efficiency and guaranteed results.
Hence comes Dr. Ashraf Hassan Soliman consultant of keratoconus and corneal surgery, cataract and glaucoma surgery, refractive surgery and laser vision correction on the top of the best ophthalmologists and as the best doctor for the treatment of keratoconus in Egypt.